August 12, 2007

A Trip Home

As I traveled along the mountain highways of eastern Washington today, I saw two blonde haired girls no older than thirteen sitting on a tractor. They reminded me of the times when Erica and I would ride around the neighborhood on a John Deere tractor. Before we could drive, it was our favorite mode of transportation, but when we used it usually meant that we were selling flowers or corn for Erica’s family farm.

We would sit at the top of the road with our farm fresh corn signs, which tourist usually read as, “please ask us directions to the nearest gas station.” Most of the time we gave good directions.

While the corn was a much more legitimate business venture than most of the other things we tried to sell, sometimes business was slow. During those times we would get ridiculous and make up silly sayings. We segmented our automotive audience into two very well researched groups: “Wavers must be savers” and “Non-lookers must be hookers.” There sure were a lot of non-lookers, which probably explains why maui is such a huge vacation destination. Maui no ka oi. Hana hou. Hana hou.


Also as a delightful aside, my parents and I ate dinner with a deer tonight. The doe grazed outside while we ate our couscous inside. Have you ever eaten couscous with a deer? I thought not.